What’s the relationship between artists and host
What the host and the artist provide and gain
How residency program influence both the artist and the organize organization
What’s the situation of artist residency in Hong Kong
Videotage, Residency artist, Res Artis
Paper research and interview
The history of artist residency
The first wave of artist-in-residence programs came at the beginning of the last century. The first artist residency programs were organized by Yaddo and Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild. Yaddo, which was founded in 1900 by the financier Spencer Trask and his wife Katrina, herself a poet, is an artists’ community located on a 400-acre estate in Saratoga Springs, New York. And the Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guide was established in 1902, New York and it is a non-profit organization.
The organizing mode for Yaddo and Woodstock Guild aimed at offering guest studios to individual artists as a new kind of patronage, they shared the settled area with the artists for their art creation.
A new wave of artist-in-residence programs emerged in the 1960s, adding two new modes to the previous modes that already existed. One of the new mode offered artists the opportunity to withdraw temporarily from a society which was considered bourgeois. They preferred to create their own utopia in seclusion. The other new mode, on the other hand, tried to contact the public and aimed for social engagement: guest studios in villages and cities served as a base for society change. Quite a number of new foundations elaborated on this new tendency during the seventies and the eighties.
The countries and cities that involved in the artist residency expanded so as the types of artists that participated in the programs, including art writers, critics and curators.
- More new modes
With the development of artist residency programs, more and more new modes appeared and applied to artists. More and more residency programs recommend the cooperation between local community and government and also more commercial benefit.
- Related Organizations
Res Artis – Worldwide Network of artist in residence programs.
Alliance of Artist Communities – Premier professional organization for Artist in Residence Programs Transartists – Info centre for dozens of artist in residence programs, especially international in scope.
Rate My Artist Residency – Social media platform about artist residencies.
Art Residencies – Art Opportunities.
AIR_J – Online Database of Artist-in-Residence Programs in Japan.
China Residencies – non-for-profit organization in mainland China.
Analyze about Res Artis
Choosing one of the artist residency website for better understanding the network in the residency program, Res Artis as a worldwide net work of artist resident which found on 1993 was selected.
With the growing number of members, it has over 500 centers, organizations, and individuals in over 70 countries. It organizes the chance for individual arties as well as organizations to communicate altogether as a global community via face-to face meetings and online chatting.
Now, it covers lots of residencies all over the world. They showed as the map below.
The relationship base is resident and the host. The hosts provide register residency centers in the net work for inviting artists, academicians, curators, and all manner of creative people, to provide them a time and space away from their usual environment. Also they provide a time of reflection, research, presentation and/or production. They also allow individuals to explore his/her practice within another community; meeting new people, using new materials, experiencing life in a new location.
For residencies, they can take part in museums, universities, galleries, studio spaces, theaters, artist-run spaces, municipalities, governmental offices, and even festivals.
The way for joining the net work is becoming their member. There are three types of members, including Residency Members, Associate Members and Individual Members. The fee for each kind of the members is different. Yearly, the fee for Residency Members is €30-450, Associate Membership is €375, Individual Membership is € 75.
There are four kinds of organizations that within and help with the Res Artis in different ways.
1.Free Dimensional is responsible for organizing community arts space and local resources for the support and protection of individuals who create dialogue on global issues and inequalities through their art and media. It acts as a parallel network to Res Artis, helping with members who interested in activities.
2.Asia Australia Europe Creative Residency Network. It is a sub-network of Res Artis with the mission to specifically promote more cultural exchange between Asia, Australia and Europe. It helps with developing several activities and exchanges to facilitate the sharing of knowledge, resources and experiences regarding the artist residencies in Asia, Australia and Europe.
- The ‘PAiR’ Initiative – Performing Arts in Residence.It works to strengthen existing and support the development of new residencies for performing artists, helping with organizing members who especially interested in performing art.
- Microresidence Network. The Microresidence Network is an independent initiative from Res Artis and residencies who are not members of Res Artis are of course able to join. It helps with recognizing the significant proportion of Res Artis members.
In order to process a research in depth, this paper will take one specific organization as an example to analyze the relationship. For that, Videotage, as a leading non-profit organization in Hong Kong, organizing exhibitions, artist-in-residencies and exchange programs  is chosen.
Aiming at facilitating, promoting and presenting new media art, Videotage has developed itself from an umbrella for media artists to a media art and culture network for cross-disciplinary cultural productions and international exchange of ideas and knowledge since 1986.
Interview question For artist
[About Videotage residency]
- [characteristics of residency] Is it your first time to resident in Hong Kong (if visit as a tourist before, what’s the different?)
- [specific experience] How do you feel about Videotage residency?
- [characteristics of residency] Why did you choose Hong Kong as residence?
- [expectation]What’s your expectation when you make your decision?
- [characteristics of residency]What’s the special characteristic of Videotage/ Hong Kong, compared with other residency program?
[About the network between artist and residence]
- [ways to get information] Where did you find out the information about artist residency? (Websites? Talk? Friends?)
- [relationship- get ] What did the residency host provide?
- [relationship – provide] What did you share with the host?
- [relationship] What’s the relationship between you and the host?
[Artist ideas about residency]
- [common ] Is it common for artist going for residency program in your own country?
- [amount ] How many residency programs have you joined before?
- [specific experience] Could you share one interesting experience, during your different kinds of residency?
- [meaning]What’s artist residency mean to you?
- [benefit]What’s the benefit for you?
- [difficulty]What’s the disadvantage or difficulty to overcome?
[Residency impact on artworks]
- [influence]Have residency program influence your art work? What kind of influence?
- [specific experience] Could you share some example, how residency influence your artworks?
- [history] When did you organize artist residency?
- [residency frequency and duration] What is the frequency? How long does one residency last for?
- [reason] What’ the reason for you to organize?
- [common] Is it common for Hong Kong organization to organize artist residency?
- [K11 Art Foundation x FUSE ISEA] Could you tell more about K11 Art Foundation x FUSE ISEA HK Residency Program?
- [co-operation] Will you co-operate with any other organization?
- [funding] Where did you get funding for residency?
[About artist application]
- [requirement ] How do you choose artist for the residency program?
- [requirement -application] What’s the requirement for artists during application?
- [process] How’s the application process?
- [amount of artists] How many artists will be approved to come in one time?
[About the network between artist and residence]
- [relationship] What kind of relationship between you and artists?
- [relationship-provide]What will you provide for artists during their resident?
- [relationship- get]What kind of requirement of artists during residency?
- [meaning] What’s the meaning for you to organize the residency?
- [specific example] Could you share some experience of artist that created artwork during residency? (Soyung Lee, UK artist Chris Shen etc)
- [Influence]Do you think residency will influence their artworks? In which way?